Friday, June 21, 2013

The Final Scene

Hey everyone,

Yes once again I am back and I am thrilled to report not only did I start, but I have finished The Secret of the Scarlet Hand. Next up is one of Nancy Drew's first creepy mysteries, at least in my opinion, Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. Stay tuned for that.

I am once again trying to catch up to my marathon in reviews. Today I am reviewing Nancy Drew: The Final Scene.


The Basics:

In this game Nancy heads of to St. Louis, Missouri with friend Maya Nuygen to attend the premiere of heart throb Brady Armstrong's newest film Vanishing Destiny, which is to be the final movie played at St.Louis' Royal Palladium Theatre. Upon entering Brady's dressing room for an interview, Maya disappears and a kidnapper's threat warns Nancy that unless she can stop the demolition in just three days time... she will never see Maya again. 

From there the so-called "puzzles" of this game are all practical tasks to finding Maya. The one issue I have with this game is, although the characters you talk to are highly entertaining, this game has way to much time spent talking on the telephone.  As usual the police are no help to Nancy and really if you want something done right you do it yourself.

The Characters:

Joseph Hughes

Joseph is the theatre's caretaker more or less for lack of a better word. He can be found at the top of the double staircase in the lobby. He is a kindly old man who seems genuinely sympathetic to Nancy. He is a lot of help and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
Brady Armstrong

Ah there he is, Mr. egotist himself. Have you noticed so far every game has had one of these guys. Daryl Gray, Rick Arlen, Jacques Brunais and now Brady. Okay well Message in a Haunted Mansion didn't. Brady gets on my nerves honestly.
Nicholas Falcone

Nicholas is definitely my favorite character in this game. Unless you count Eustasia who will become someone you talk to on the phone. I am not sure why Nicholas is so entertaining, it is probably the character's over all demeanor and attitude. He uses phrases like 411 and "Catch ya on the flip side". Don't underestimate Nicholas from his reputation, his friendship will come in handy.
Simone Mueller

Lastly we have Simone, she is Brady Armstrong's agent, or "CEO of my life" as Brady calls her. She orchestrates his entire schedule, including answering all his love letters. She talks to you when she feels like it. I feel that she is an added portion to this game and really without her the game wouldn't be that drastically different but hey it would mean one less person's belongings to snoop through.




Overall this game was not one of my favorites of the series, not my least favorite, but definitely lower on the list. However I still believe it is a fun play through. The plot just wasn't really up my alley, but that didn't stop me from having played it at least 3-4 times. There are a few puzzles that are kind of fun, but the timing of events is slightly meticulous, especially after a few times playing, I ran around quite a bit trying to find the "trigger" to make something happen. Stay Tuned for Danger is still more meticulous in the aspect. The Final Scene over all was entertaining but without the lovable and detailed character development I don't think this game would have done it for me.

For that reason I am giving this game a 2.5/5

Catch me on the flip side,
Turtlesmind.



No comments:

Post a Comment