Saturday, June 1, 2013

Why Her Interactive?

Welcome Back Fellow Sleuths,

Once again this is Turtlesmind back with another blog. If you have read my introduction to this blog then you already know what this blog is all about and more importantly, what I promised to deliver in my first post. A lot of what I have to say about the games will be known by a lot of my readers. The series veterans I call them, those who have been with us for awhile, but I did not want to cut out a whole portion of my possible audience by assuming that you all are experts on the series and Her Interactive. Now I will not pretend to be an expert on the company as the only knowledge I have of its inner workings is through what i've either read or seen on youtube. On the note of Youtube, for you die hard fans, i urge you to check out Little Jackalope's Vlogs which complement her HerInteractive "Amateur Sleuth" Blog. She is an intern at HerInteractive and fantastic. Links to her Blog and HerInteractive's Channel are as follows

Amateur Sleuth Blog: http://herinteractive-amateursleuth.blogspot.ca/

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HerInteractiveGames?feature=watch

So Why HerInteractive, Why Nancy Drew you ask?



HerInteractive debuted the Nancy Drew Adventure Series in 1998 with their first Game Secrets Can Kill. Now some of you readers may not even have been born in 1998 and maybe did not join he series until later on. For example, I did not encounter the series until 2004 when I was 14. I received a four pack of Nancy Drew games for my birthday and have been in love with the series ever since. At such time, the series had just released its twefth title "Secret of the Old Clock" and now we are looking onward to the 29th installment... How time goes by. As a kid I loved video games, but when I encountered Nancy Drew I had currently been playing video games for 64 such as James Bond 007 or Legend of Zelda. Don't get me wrong those games are great, especially Zelda, but most games played at the time was by males. There just werent a lot of games geared towards the female audience. For example even now the Xbox 360, although there are many girls that love Call of Duty ad Grand Theft Auto, there are very few games released for Xbox that are aimed solely at women. This was the case in 1998 as well so thus HerInteractive was created. The mission was to change the target audience to include girls and women as well. Now because of the Nancy Drew Adventure Series, there are a lot of girls out there playing computer game.


In addition to the missions of the company, many will play the games based solely on the Reputation Nancy has already made for herself in the last 90 to 100 years. I was currently reading the classic Yellow Hardcover Nancy Drew Mystery Stories when I learned of HerInteractive. I was immediately mesmerized by the idea of a video game and wanted desperately to try one.

My Experience with Nancy Drew Adventure Games:

As I mentioned before, I began playing Nancy Drew in 2004 on my fourteenth birthday when i received a four pack which incuded: Secrets Can Kill (Original of course), Stay Tuned For Danger, Treasure in the Royal Tower, and The Final Scene. The First game I completed I believe was Treasure in the Royal Tower and to this day remains one of my favorites in the series. This is partially because as I said it was my first, but also due to my passion for History and more than that my passion for the French Revolution. I was learning about Marie Antoinette in school and fell in love with this game. I have now completed all 28 (29 including both Secrets Can Kill) games to date and own physical copies of them all. I think I am going to stop here and continue in my next post when I review Secrets Can Kill Remastered.

Until Then, Don't Take any Wooden Nickels,
Turtlesmind

No comments:

Post a Comment